DauphineDreams: Writings About the Travels of Life

In 2005, I created this blog as a real time journal of my post-Katrina experience and have continued it to this day. The mini-essays, observations and little bits of "flash nonfiction" published here now span several continents and almost a decade of my life. I hope you enjoy them! Note: The entries are copyrighted and cannot be republished either in print or electronically without the written permission of the author.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Taos, New Mexico, United States

Monday, July 28, 2014

In The Swimming Pool

Hello there. This is the first day of the "in the now" writing i will post daily here on my blog, Dauphine Dreams. Enjoy!

Today I saw a former student through a haze of fog and water, looking tentative by the side if the pool. His mother looked on, looking bored, kind of looked like she was going to cry. I wonder why? The petite young woman who I thought was swimming on her own was his instructor and I recalled as I watched them frolic...The half smile on the face of the boy I recalled from the classroom. That's the look he has when he is interested in something new. He has others, this boy, especially the one when he talks about working with bees. He is a beekeeper, a noble stewart, this eight year old child. He once brought honey in tiny jars as a snack for us all to enjoy. His eyes go to the meadow, to the hives when he speaks of them. In the middle of the classroom, hand on the pencil, he does not do his work but talks - story about which of the colony perished and why and how to handle the smoke can and which bee box is the healthiest. And what could I do but listen to such wisdom? And now in the pool, out of his woodsy element, trying something new. This brave boy is learning how to swim. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home