DauphineDreams: Writings About the Travels of Life

In 2005, I created this blog as a real time journal of my post-Katrina experience and have continued it to this day. The mini-essays, observations and little bits of "flash nonfiction" published here now span several continents and almost a decade of my life. I hope you enjoy them! Note: The entries are copyrighted and cannot be republished either in print or electronically without the written permission of the author.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Taos, New Mexico, United States

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Shawl


She let the thin fabric of her shawl drop on to the floor behind her. The cool tiles absorbed the weightless weight of it, the indigo and sunbright and saffron colors of it. The jewels at the bottom. Dangling as it swooped through the air, clanging as it fell, touching cold clay . She stood in the open archway looking out at the valley below. She felt a breeze on her shoulders for the first time in so any years. The past washed away, with the settling of cloth, memories erased as the breeze swept it up, sent it flying on wingless wings over the tops of the famous city at daybreak.

“I am free,” said to herself. To no one and to everyone.

Now I am free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home