DauphineDreams: Writings About the Travels of Life

In 2005, I created this blog as a real time journal of my post-Katrina experience and have continued it to this day. The mini-essays, observations and little bits of "flash nonfiction" published here now span several continents and almost a decade of my life. I hope you enjoy them! Note: The entries are copyrighted and cannot be republished either in print or electronically without the written permission of the author.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Taos, New Mexico, United States

Friday, August 15, 2014

Writing about food

My first food writing assignment. What a treat! I have discovered a new way of eating. Why cant I do this all the time? Why does it need to be for an "assignment." Anyways, how cares. I can eat this way from now on. I can pretend that every meal is an assignment. The article was for edibleSantaFe featuring the Farmhouse restaurant here in Taos. Farm-to-table establishment doing some really cool stuff for the environment, for local farmers, etc. which I believe makes the food taste even better. Good intention, good energy, love, consciousness are like spices to be mixed in to everything. Anyways, on to the food. The fork. The tiny chunks of carrot and lamb raised up into the air. I sniffed it first. I don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do. Wine experts do it, why shouldn't I, who is now writing about the sensual details of what I am about to put in my gut. The creamy gluten-free gravy nestled on top. And my eyes resting on the forkful of color and texture amidst a background of country-- grass and cows and flowers and whirligigs, the garden in the background, the puffy clouds and the blue blue sky. All of it in my mouth, passed the lips, resting on taste buds. Chewing, finally, the recommended 25-35 bites (well, almost). And then writing about it. Using words to describe the sensation of taste. A hit of rosemary, a burst of tarragon, the creaminess of the gravy, the buttery kindness of the quinoa. Using a new language to describe a cranberry, a bite of apple, cheesecake tart. "It tastes like fall," I write and I for one know exactly what I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home